The delicious version of rajma-lentils curry blended with authentic Indian spices. Whole black gram is called Sabut Urad in Hindi, Urad in Konkani. The combination of black gram with rajma (kidney beans) is very heavenly. It is known for its own nutritional benefits. This curry is North Indian style curry recipe. The ingredients or items required and the preparation time is also less. The use of garam masala in the curry enriches the tastes, flavour in the curry. The speciality of this recipe is it is an Indian vegetable curry mixed with spices and herbs and is best suited for roti/ chapathi/ rice.
The word Makhan/ Makhani means butter. The use of butter or desi ghee in the curry enriches the taste. This curry is authentic North Indian curry served in dhabha, hotels with thali and special occasions, Indian festivals. The blend of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves),coriander seeds and red chillies always provides aroma. The addition of coriander leaves gives out the authentic taste of Indian food.
Tricks for good taste:
- Use ginger garlic paste for best results..
- If you forgot to soak the rajma (kidney beans) or urad, no need to worry. You can boil it for 10 minutes and cook in pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles.
- Do not overcook the seeds (rajma, urad)
- Add Kashmiri chilli powder for good colour in curry (optional).
- Cook slowly for better taste.
- Cream can be replace by few cashew paste (cashew ground with water)
Servings: 4 Members
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Main course/ side dish recipe for Roti/ Chapathi/ Phulka/ Rice.
- Side dish recipe with Dal
- Side dish with Dosa/ Idli/Appam/ Porridge/ Pyaj/ Kanji.
Detailed Video Recipe in 3 Minutes: https://youtu.be/OmGbwpB2qM0
Quicker version of dal makhani is shown in this video. Easy, simple, tasty, healthy curry recipe.
1. Whole black gram/ Uddina Kaalu/ Sabut Urad –2 cups
2. Rajma beans/ Kidney beans –1 cup
3. Water –5 cups
For Masala :
1. Onion –1
2. Tomato –1
3. Coriander powder –1 tbsp
4. Turmeric powder –1 tbsp
5. Red chilly powder –2 tbsp
6. Green chilly –2
7. Garam masasla –1 tbsp (optional)
8. Full cream –3 tbsp (optional)
9. Ghee or oil for seasoning
10. Salt –3 spoons(according to taste)
11. Hing/ Asafoetida –1 tbsp
12. Ginger-garlic paste –1 tbsp
13. Coriander leaves — fistful
Step 1: Boil 2 cups Whole black gram and 1 cup Rajma (kidney beans) in 3 cups water for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add 1tsp Asafoetida (hing), 2 Green Chillies, 1tsp Salt and Cook it for 6 Whistles.
Step 3: Roast 1 onion in 2tbsp Butter or Oil and 1tsp Cumin seeds(jeera).
Step 4: Add 1tbsp Ginger garlic paste and saute till raw flavour goes off.
Step 5: Add 1tsp Coriander powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin powder, 1 tsp Turmeric, 2tsp Chilli powder and roast it well, add 1 chopped tomato.
Step 6: Cook till tomato mashes and now add cooked rajma and dal.
Step 7: Adjust the spice and salt level and add 1 cup water (as per consistency). Add 1tsp garam masala and 1 tsp Kasuri methi crushed and 3tsp Cream (optional).
Step 8: Add a fistful of coriander leaves and cook for 10 more minutes.
Here you Can:
Try, Taste & Comment.
You can post the pics you have tried on YouTube, Facebook , Pinterest, Instagram.
It Motivates! 😊 Happy cooking.