The delicious version of Spinach curry without using lentils (dal) or garam masala. Red color Black eyed pea is called Lobia in Hindi, Alsando in Konkani. It is very healthy seed. It is known for its own nutritional benefits. This curry is Konkani recipe/ Amchigele style/ Coastal curry recipe called Koddel. Bogde/ bogda koddel curry without using dal/ lentils and no garam masala is shown here.
The ingredients or items required and the preparation time is also less. The use of coconut in the curry enriches the nutritional benefits and also the taste. The speciality of this recipe is it is an Indian vegetable sambar/ sambhar recipe prepared without dal/ lentils. South Indian recipe best suited for roti/ chapathi/ rice.
This curry is authentic Konkani curry served in temples and special occasions, Indian festivals. The blend of coconut, tamarind, coriander seeds and red chillies always provides aroma. The addition of coriander seeds roasted in coconut oil or any oil gives out the authentic taste of Konkani food.
Tricks for good taste:
- Use fresh coconut for more flavour. However, the dry desiccated coconut gives the same if soaked for 10 minutes.
- Chop palak or spinach according to the required size.
- Do not overcook the seeds.
- Add Kashmiri chilli for good colour in curry (optional)
Servings: 4 Members
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Main course/ side dish recipe for Roti/ Chapathi/ Phulka/ Rice.
- Side dish recipe with Dal
- Side dish with Dosa/ Idli/Appam/ Porridge/ Pyaj/ Kanji.
Detailed Video Recipe in 80 seconds: https://youtu.be/g2Wn_7tzOSM
Ingredients Required :
1. Alsande/ Red colorBlack eyed pea/ lal Lobia — 1&1/2 cup
2. Spinach/ Palak — 1 bunch
1. Coconut dessicated –3/4 th cup
2. Roasted Red chillies — 6
3. Tamarind — 1 small lemon sized
4. Roasted Coriander seeds — 2 tbsp
1. Onion –1
2. Garlic –4 pods
3. Oil — 3 tbsp
Step 1: Soak the pea/ lobia overnight or boil 1 cup lobia with 2 cups water.
Step 2: Grind Masala with 1 cup water.
Step 3: Add half cup coconut, 6 red chillies.
Step 4: Add 2tbsp roasted Coriander seeds.
Step 5: Add a lemon sized tamarind.
Step 6: Grind it to fine paste.
Step 7: Cook Lobia for 4 whistles. Do not overcook.
Step 8: Add ground masala.
Step 9: Add a bunch chopped palak (spinach).
Step 10: Roast 1 onion chopped , 4 garlic pods in 1tbsp oil.
Step 11: Add 1tbsp Salt to curry and Mix it Well.
Here you Can:
Try, Taste & Comment.
You can post the pics you have tried on YouTube, Facebook , Pinterest, Instagram.
It Motivates! 😊 Happy cooking.